Marketing and Communications Internship
Are you looking for exceptional experience interning for the #1 family attraction in North East Kansas? Friends of Topeka Zoo is accepting resumes for a Marketing and Communications intern to assist with marketing, advertising, special events and promotional programs to enhance membership and community awareness. We work with your university or school to help fulfill your internship requirements while providing real-world experience to apply your academic knowledge. Flexible hours to work around your schedule. This opportunity is unlike any other.
- Assist with multi-media advertising campaigns, promotions, special events, and community outreach
- Assist in creating and posting social media content
- Assist with coordinating assigned activities with other departments and outside agencies
- Assist with producing, publishing and distributing promotional publications
- Write and design Zooreka e-newsletter (monthly)
- Provide proofreading and fact-finding assistance
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be currently enrolled in a college degree program related to marketing, public relations, communications or a similar field of study
- Familiar with marketing, advertising or branding principles and techniques
- Ability to effectively collaborate with co-workers
- Dynamic written and verbal communication and ability to work with the public
- Knowledge of social media
- Knowledge of all or some of the following: techniques in print, photography, or video and audio production
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite programs, as well as marketing software such as Constant Contact
- Ability to work on numerous projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Required to work 25 hours or more a week
- Valid Kansas driver’s license
- Creativity and flexibility are a plus
Submit cover letter, resume, and references to 635 SW Gage Blvd. Topeka, KS 66606 or e-mail Megan Burns, Marketing and Graphic Design Specialist at email@example.com. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. Drug-Free Workplace and EOE.
Adventure Camp Summer Internship
If you love working with kids and/or animals, the Topeka Zoo’s Education and Conservation Department is offering a truly unique and exciting summer internship with our Adventure Camp Program! Interns will have the opportunity to get their feet wet in environmental and conservation education by using the zoo as an active, living classroom. Not only will interns schedule and oversee daily summer camp activities for children ages 6-12, but they will also get a backstage pass into how the zoo operates. Starting with a two-week training period and then diving into eight weeks of summer camp, interns will learn how to give presentations and lead hands-on activities. Interns will also complete a course on animal handling to use a variety of education animals (invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, mammals, and birds) during programming. Our internship is flexible and offers many opportunities to personalize your experience.
QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates are preferred to have completed at least one year of a college degree program in education, biology, animal science, zoology, psychology, or other related fields. However, students age 16 and older may apply. If you are still in high school, please include one letter of recommendation in your application along with your resume and cover letter. (College applicants may send in a letter of recommendation if you’d like, although it is not mandatory.)
Candidates must also have excellent communication skills, enjoy working with people of all ages, and possess the ability to work in a team environment. They must be self-motivated, reliable, prompt, able to work in all weather conditions, and have strong attention-to-detail skills. A negative TB test must also be provided.
Internships are unpaid and require 35-40 hours per week with an 11-week commitment beginning May 20th and ending August 2nd (with a break the week of July 1st-5th). Dates are slightly flexible. Interns must provide their own accommodations and transportation. While the zoo does not pay for accommodations, we do have partnerships with a few local housing agencies that offer affordable living for our interns. Feel free to contact the phone number below with any questions regarding housing or other internship information. Applications are due by April 1st, 2019.
Please note this is not an animal care internship. This is an internship with the Education and Conservation Department working with our summer camp kids. You will work with our education animal collection to give programs, but will not be involved in the daily care/feeding of these animals. Do not apply to this opportunity if you are seeking an animal care internship.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Ms. Rachael Rost at RRost@topeka.org. To contact the Education Department by phone, please call 785-368-9137.